Entry Deadline: February 28, 2021
North Texas Performing Arts is excited to announce the opening of the 2021 Black History Month Poetry Contest. We want to hear your original poems reflecting on black history, culture, experience and/or social justice issues.
Win cash prizes! Get featured online!
First Prize $100, Second Prize $50, Third Prize $25
Record a video of yourself reciting your original poem, upload it to an online site (Youtube, Google Drive, One Drive), and submit a link to the video via our online form. Winning poems will be presented in a virtual spoken word poetry event in April.
POETRY CONTEST RULES
- There will be three age categories: Ages 6-11, Ages 12-15, Ages 16-19.
- Poems must be original and must be submitted via video link.
- Poems may be rhyming or non-rhyming.
- Poems should provide reflections on black history, culture, experience, and/or social justice issues.
- English-language entries only, please.
- Author grants NTPA permission to post the videos and poems on our website and marketing materials.
- Poems are judged on the basis of originality and uniqueness.
- One entry allowed per youth.
- All entries must be the original creation of the submitting author.
- All rights to the entry remain the property of the author.
- The author gives permission to present the winning entry in a virtual spoken word production in April 2021.
- Applicants and winners will be contacted by March 20, 2021.